Monday, June 22, 2009

Saturday Reality, Dinosaurs, and Eating Rabbits

6-19-09

I’m so pleased with my life right now. I’ve actually been really shocked at how happy I’ve been the past four and a half months. There have certainly been days when I’ve done my fair share of swearing in English and have essentially cursed all of Paraguay and all Paraguayans, though I think that it’s inevitable when you plunge into a new place and culture. And there are certainly things that I could do without—i.e. having to suck meat off the bone, cat calls, having the same songs repeated at nauseum, bucket bathing—but today things are good. Today I finished an art project with the comedor kids and just really enjoyed my interactions with the women’s group and the kids. I had a promising meeting with a contact who is frequently too much for me, but who gets things done, about some projects we’re both interested in. I worked for the first time with an organization for kids who would otherwise be selling stuff on the street. They were excellent and there is a perfect amount of them (15) for art projects and games. They range from 8 to 14 years old. I’m going to aim to be there two times a week to help with homework and do art projects and games. Today we did the hands and feet parrots, which I simply love. If you don’t know what I’m talking about, I’m sorry for you.

I walked the 3 kilometers home in absolutely beautiful weather and am now lounging in my backyard drinking terere. I have no plans for tonight and will probably do very little. I may actually do a little baking if I can motivate myself to go back into town. Tomorrow morning I’m planning on transplanting the vegetables we planted six weeks ago in the community center and told my host brother and his friend I’d bake for them if they helped again. Then we have the inauguration for the comedor. Even though it has been open for two months, they just got a freezer, fridge, and stove donated and delivered by the Mormons yesterday. They’ve been keeping food at their houses and cooking over a simple charcoal grill. Both have caused obvious problems—it is really smoky to cook over the charcoal and the grill stands like 2 feet off the ground so its tough on the back and the women have been accusing each other of stealing food when its kept at individual houses. The inauguration will consist of some traditional Paraguayan dances (obviously) done by the kids and them holding some signs welcoming everyone to the comedor. I’m sure someone will give a long winded speech. Afterwards I’m double booked to play volleyball there and to have a meeting with the youth group, though I assume no one will show up for the youth group meeting since one girl is having a birthday party tomorrow night. The third phase is celebrating San Juan tomorrow. San Juan festivals have been going on all through June and will continue through the end of the month. I am interested to see what it looks like tomorrow in the 3rd Phase, especially after going to a logistical meeting in the church yesterday where they discussed where to put the game where a ball of fire is thrown from person to person. Another game called We Walk on Fire, while not cleverly named, should also be interesting to see. Apparently a great deal of games involving fire are played…I’ll definitely take some photos and write about how it all turns out, though I’ll probably wait until next year to participate…

*Here is a reality check of what actually happened on Saturday. (Written Sunday, 6/21/09). The transplanting got moved to Tuesday because my host brother was feeling lazy, which was fine by me. The inauguration went as I expected although I did not expect to spend twenty minutes afterwards speaking to two nice older American Mormon couples who were there to represent the donated goods. I would not have spoken to them for so long if the kids hadn’t been so incredibly amazed to hear conversations in English. The youth meeting was cancelled, as expected, but so was the volleyball game. The 3rd Phase’s celebration of San Juan only consisted of selling deep friend food. I stayed for 30 minutes and then spent the evening watching King Kong with my host mom.

We had a bit of a communication mix-up while watching one scene. She asked me if I believed there were dinosaurs. I said, yes, I’ve seen the bones. Do you? She said no. We sat there in slightly awkward silence. I’m thinking, OK, she is really Catholic. Maybe her creation story doesn’t allow for dinosaurs…But I’m also thinking, that is absurd! I wish I didn’t know that about my host mom who I like and admire. Then I have her repeat the question. She asked if I believe there are dinosaurs…as in right now! We had a good laugh when she realized what I was thinking and I realized she thought I was some sort of a moron thinking that a T-Rex and King Kong are maybe duking it out right this moment on some island somewhere.

Other quick communication problem came with a girl named Doris who I’m working with at the environmental school. She asked what I’m planning on eating during my (quickly approaching!!) visit to the states. I start talking about crabs and how they’re so messy to eat you have to put newspaper down and how you use your hands to break the shell and your teeth to get the delicious meat out of the claws (I said arms since I don’t know como se dice claws in Spanish). Doris looked at me like I was the most disgusting person she’d ever known. Turns out I used the wrong word for crab. Instead I’m talking about pulling the meat with my teeth and breaking the shell and rolling up my sleeves to eat…Bunnies! And licking my fingers while I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment