Sunday, February 15, 2009

Mi vida.

Alright, so I also realized that I couldn´t answer any questions anyone was asking me about PC before I left the US so I´m going to try to partially explain what I´m doing here. Unfortunately, I don´t think I´ll be able to become the queen of this country, and I still don´t know where I´ll be living, or what my project will be. Thus far, my days are taken up by language class that starts at 745. I´m in the Spanish class right now, but we´ll be transitioning to Guaraní in the next couple of weeks. We have Spanish all morning...the class is pretty great. There are 5 of us (which is bigger than they intended I think) and as long as are speaking in Spanish, the teacher lets us go with it. The other day we went from the word for sneezing (estornudar) to a discussion about nude beaches (playa nudista)... We go home for lunch, which is by far the biggest meal of the day. Last week I had country fried steak two days in a row. I had to ask to receive salad with limon instead of mayonaisse (yes, JUST mayo).

After lunch, when everyone else gets a siesta, we then have either technical training, with just the seven in my UYD group or with the bigger group. This can include meeting with Medical Mary and Dr. Luis (who was allegedly Mr. Paraguay at some point...), maybe receiving a few shots from them, doing some sort of team building activity or whatever.

And so goes training... We do this for 11 weeks, with a handful of visits to possible future sites. Our swearing in is April 24th (Fred Franke´s b-day). After training, I have no idea where I´m heading but will know around week 9. We met some volunteers who are leaving when we swear in. Everyone is doing interesting projects, and doing multiple projects at their sites. They had a three day camp last week that we got attend. It was very much a normal overnight camp, but probably because it was started by ppl from the USofA. Anyway, I have my first project this week with another volunteer where we have to do a charla (like a presentation) about sex ed and healthy relationships in Spanish in front of our group and a bunch of kids from the community. Things are good. I´ve gotta run but hope life is grand in the US. I have absolutely NO idea what is happening in the world and am really missing the Sunday NYT....(oh, and all of you.)

No comments:

Post a Comment