Monday, February 23, 2009

This is not about poop.

2-21-09

I´m going to separate these two blogs only because I don´t know where to go from that poop rampage. But I´m still on the bus. I found out a few things on Thursday. One is that I will find out my site placement on April 1, 2009. Yes, I realize that this is April Fool´s Day. I really hope that they don´t do some sort of April Fool´s joke with site placements. At that point I´ll know where I¨ll be in the country and kind of what I¨ll be doing, although that really changes depending on what I think is needed and what I´m interested in doing.

The OTHER thing I found out is that I´ll definitely going to be able to come back for Mimi and Matthew´s wedding in July . I´m psyched for that and am already compiling a list of things to bring back with me to Paraguay. (Let me know if you somehow know of some super random thing you want me to bring back to the US of A...other than the world´s biggest rodent. I don´t know how well they travel.)

OH! And my compañera and I did our first charla (workshop) yesterday. We did hog call as an icebreaker, where everyone was given a partner, gets separated from said partner, is blindfolded, then everyone needs to find the other by yelling their half of a word or phrase. Because it was a sex-ed charla we started with normal vocab, then went to technical sexual terms along with the slang that means the same. Then we talked about how it felt to yell those words and phrases. And we did a scenario-type discussion where partners got Dear Abby letters and were asked to give advice. I think it went well overall...although the vocab was tough since it was all in Español.

I´m going to go read some more or stare out the window... This still seems very dream-like to me. I just keep reminding myself that I´ll be here for the next 2 years. How strange!

3 comments:

  1. Hey nancy its Tom Esh, been readin your blog and glad to hear that your out in the world doin good. Whats the biggest rodent called, is it the nutria or something like that? Be safe have fun and do good things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nanc, it sounds like you are adjusting pretty well, and I'm sure you are now an icebreaker/teambuilding champion. Good luck with the rest of your orientation and I look forward to your updates. (I know that sounded really formal, I tried typing it a few different ways, but they all came out weird, but I guess not being awkward has never been one of my strengths, haha) Buena suerte!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG- I can't believe that something we learned at Mercersburg Peer Group training actually proved valuable for the real world. I'm learning so much from this blog- like who know Paraguay was two hours ahead of EST? My world is on its head. Love the blog- keep it up!

    ReplyDelete